Searching for an eye specialist is a very important health decision especially if you are planning to go through a surgery. The good news is that Singapore is home to several clinics that offer a wide variety of eye care services. However, the quality of their services vary which is why you should take the time to go through your options. To help you out, here are some things to keep in mind when choosing an eye specialist in Singapore:
- Determine if the doctor is either an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. There’s a big difference between the two. The main difference is that an optometrist doesn’t perform surgery. An ophthalmologist, on the other hand, can do surgery because of the residency program he has to go through to get hands-on experience.
- See if the doctor’s clinic has the appropriate tools and equipment. Medical equipment and technology are always evolving. With that said, you will be under better hands if the clinic’s equipment are updated. The only way to know if the doctor uses reliable equipment is to visit the clinic yourself for a personal consultation.
- Does the doctor have the necessary licenses to operate on people’s eyes? It is against the law in Singapore for a person to perform eye surgeries if he wasn’t given the necessary licenses and permits by a regulatory agency. That said, make it a point to check the doctor’s credentials.
- How experienced is the clinic’s staff? The assistants of the doctor are very instrumental in the success of a treatment procedure. Generally speaking, the staff should have been trained in the medical field. This is important because in some cases, the staff will perform the surgery under the supervision of the resident doctor.
- Are the doctor’s fees reasonable? It’s advisable that you ask for quotes from several eye clinics then compare their prices and rates. If you know of someone working in the medical field, you can ask him or her if the fees are reasonable.
If you take all of these things into account, you have better chances of finding an experienced and reliable eye doctor. Eye surgery is a serious matter that can have harmful implications if you are operated on by an unskilled surgeon. There’s no need to rush things. Weigh all of your options to ensure that you get the best possible doctor.