Hemorrhoids, otherwise known as piles, is a condition characterized by swelling of the blood vessels that line the anal region. Often, this is caused by trauma or pressure to the anus, which pushes vessels towards the opening, and causes them to collect in the area. According to recent statistics, up to 30% of the adult population in Singapore develops piles, making it one of the most common health problems in the country. While hemorrhoids treatment in Singapore is accessible, effective, and advanced, it’s always better to prevent the problem from the get go. If you want to maintain your wellness at its peak, be sure to avoid hemorrhoids by following these 6 simple tips.
- Eat More Fiber – Pressure on the anal region usually occurs when passing stool. As it gets pushed through the opening, muscles expand and make way, and increase pressure throughout the surrounding structures. When stool is hard and dry, it can create a greater pressure, thus adding to the development of piles. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains create softer stools, which are ultimately much easier to pass.
- Avoid Straining When Passing Stool – Straining is the practice of holding your breath in an attempt to exert greater effort when passing stool. Instead of forcing out difficult urges, consider taking an oral or anal suppository to help make the process easier.
- Refrain from Holding Urges – There are some people who hold on to urges to postpone them to a later time, especially when they’re out at work. Avoid postponing the need, and go as soon as you feel that you have to. Stool that remains in your system too long will become too hard and dry to pass easily. By gratifying urges as they come, you can prevent the development of constipation, which is also a common culprit for piles. 4. Pass Up on Heavy Lifting – Just as you would hold your breath and exert effort when straining, the same thing happens when lifting heavy objects. If weight lifting is part of your workout routine, consider other exercises that don’t require the same kind of pressure. Constant and frequent heavy lifting can hasten the development of piles and cause serious pain in the long run.
- Take Supplements – Fiber supplements help to fill in gaps in your diet where fiber would be necessary. Taking one 25-gram capsule a day will help keep stool regular, and maintain healthy bowel movements and schedules for problem-free urges.
- Avoid Prolonged Sitting – Sitting on the toilet in particular causes greater strain on the anal region. Because there isn’t any support throughout the anus when we sit on the toilet, gravity and pressure can push down and cause vessels to swell. Keep the process of passing stool as fast as possible, and avoid spending more time on the toilet than necessary
Piles can be painful, limiting, and uncomfortable, so avoid it at all costs. Follow these 6 simple ways to prevent the development of hemorrhoids and live a worry-free, healthy, and active life.